KPO Radio, San Francisco
First Studio and Transmitter
This view shows radio station KPO as built by Joe Martineau on the sixth floor of Hale Brothers’ Department Store in 1922. A piano and a phonograph were provided as a source of program material. The transmitter is the large black panel in the rear, and a light bulb above it indicated when the station was on the air. To the right of the transmitter is a carbon announce microphone and a Westinghouse RC receiver, which was used to monitor for ships in distress.
[Go to Index of Articles] [Return to Photo Archive] [Return to Home Page]
All articles copyright © 1997-2006 by John F. Schneider. All rights reserved.
Reprinted with the generous permission of the author.