KGO Radio, Oakland
This photo shows the KGO transmitter building and antenna which operated from 1924 to 1947 at 5441 East 14th Street (now International Blvd.) in Oakland, on the grounds of a General Electric transformer factory. The two 150-foot steel towers that supported the antenna straddled the transmitter building, one on each side, at a spacing of 260 feet, so that the antenna was strung directly over the structure. Twelve counterpoise wires were strung parallel to the antenna fourteen feet above the ground and covering an area of 150 x 300 feet.
[Go to Index of Articles] [Return to Photo Archive] [Return to Home Page]
All articles copyright © 1997-2006 by John F. Schneider. All rights reserved.
Reprinted with the generous permission of the author.