KKIS 990 Radio, Pittsburg
April 30, 1962
A letter of recommendation from KKIS general manager Jerry Bassett, written for Bill Plummer, a key utility player for the Pittsburg, Calif., radio station from the late 1950s until 1982.
Mr. Plummer, who began his career on KKIS as a spotter on local high school football broadcasts in 1958, also worked as an announcer, board operator and transmitter engineer with the station.
The letter was written by Jerry Bassett on his final day as GM at the 5,000-watt East Contra Costa County station.
Mr. Bassett became KKIS’ general manager in early 1960, shortly after Burrell Small, owner of the Kankakee (Illinois) Daily Journal, purchased the station for $350,000. KKIS, under the ownership of Mr. Small’s Kay Kis Corporation, moved into a newly-constructed studio and office building at 230 East Fourth Street in Pittsburg.
Mr. Small’s ownership of KKIS lasted until May 1, 1962, when he sold the station to Pace-Shear Radio in a $300,000 transaction. New primary owner John H. Pace, previously an executive with ABC Radio, also took over as president and general manager upon assuming control of the station, replacing Mr. Bassett.
The envelope in which the letter arrived is shown below.
ORIGINAL SIZE: 8-1/2×11 inches.
SOURCE: William Plummer Collection, Bay Area Radio Museum.