KJBS Radio, San Francisco
1470 Pine Street Studios
In February 1937, Julius Brunton and Sons built these facilities at 1470 Pine Street for their radio station, KJBS, adjacent to their co-owned Willard Battery Shop.
The new KJBS building had three studios and audio room, two control booths plus a master control room.
The transmitter was located on the premises, and a new 250-foot self-supporting tower was built at the edge of the sidewalk, with the entrance to the station accessed by walking between the tower legs.
The top one-hundred feet of the tower was lit with red neon lights, which was visible for miles.
The station continued to operate from this Pine Street location through the 1970s when the station was known as KFAX. The photo of the entrance (above) was taken during that time.
All articles copyright © 1997-2006 by John F. Schneider. All rights reserved.
Reprinted with the generous permission of the author.