Doc Herrold and Ray Newby
Charles D. “Doc” Herrold (right) and his student Ray Newby (left) are shown operating a small spark transmitter at the Herrold College of Engineering and Wireless in San Jose, 1909. The voice radio station they started here eventually became first KQW and then KCBS.
All articles copyright © 1997-2006 by John F. Schneider. All rights reserved.
Reprinted with the generous permission of the author.