KJBS Radio, San Francisco
1470 Pine Street Studios
In February of 1937, KJBS built these facilities at 1470 Pine Street, adjacent to its co-owned Willard Battery Shop.
The new building had three studios and audio room, two control booths plus a master control room. The transmitter was located on the premises, and a new 250 foot self-supporting tower was built at the edge of the sidewalk, with the entrance to the station accessed by walking between the tower legs. The top 100 feet of tower were lit with red neon lights, visible for miles.
The station continued to operate from this Pine Street location through the 1970s, when this photo was taken, and when the station was known as KFAX.
All articles copyright © 1997-2006 by John F. Schneider. All rights reserved.
Reprinted with the generous permission of the author.