radio024

KPO Radio, San Francisco
First Studio and Transmitter
1922

radio024

This view shows radio station KPO as built by Joe Martineau on the sixth floor of Hale Brothers’ Department Store in 1922. A piano and a phonograph were provided as a source of program material. The transmitter is the large black panel in the rear, and a light bulb above it indicated when the station was on the air. To the right of the transmitter is a carbon announce microphone and a Westinghouse RC receiver, which was used to monitor for ships in distress.

Voices Out Of The Fog

[Go to Index of Articles] [Return to Photo Archive] [Return to Home Page]

www.adams.net/~jfs

All articles copyright © 1997-2006 by John F. Schneider. All rights reserved.
Reprinted with the generous permission of the author.

Be the first to comment

Comments