KIQI Radio 1010 Studios
KIQI (1010 kHz.) was born in 1957 as KSAY, originally
owned by Grant Wrathall, broadcasting a music and news format targeted
toward the Bay Area's black population. Early in 1974, the station was
sold to James Gabbert and Gary Gielow (doing business as San Francisco
Wireless Talking Machine, Inc.), who turned it into KIQI as the sister
station to their KIOI, giving them a pair of stations known as "K-101."
This building, adjacent to the Bay Bridge Toll Plaza,
was constructed in the mid-1950s to house the station's 10,000-watt
transmitter. Standing nearby are three antenna towers that beam the
station's directional signal to its local audience. (Also nearby on the
same marshy spit of land are the transmitters of KQKE/960 — formerly
KROW and KABL — and KMKY/1310, which was formerly KDIA.
SOURCE: Photograph by David Ferrell
Jackson from the Bay Area Radio Digest Collection.