KGEI Transmitter Site
The transmitter facility for international shortwave
station KGEI, located at Belmont, Calif., as it appeared around 1960.
The facility — built with thick, bomb-proof concrete walls — was
constructed in Belmont in 1940 by General Electric next to
co-owned KPO's transmitter.
The three stubby 125-foot towers to the right of the building were
originally erected by GE on Treasure Island for the 1939 Golden Gate
Exposition, during which time the station was operated experimentally as
W6XBE; the towers supported "curtain" antennas that transmitted KGEI's
signals on the 19-, 25- and 49-meter bands. KGEI would later become a
key station for the Far East Broadcasting Company (FEBC), which acquired
it in 1959. The station was closed in 1995 and dismantled shortly
SOURCE: Far East Broadcasting Co.