KKIS 990 Radio, Pittsburg
April 30, 1962
A letter of
recommendation from KKIS general manager Jerry Bassett, written for
a key utility player for the Pittsburg, Calif., radio station from the
late 1950s until 1982. Mr. Plummer, who began his career on KKIS as a
spotter on local high school football broadcasts on 1958, also worked as
an announcer, board operator and transmitter engineer with the station.
The letter was
written by Jerry Bassett on his final day as GM at the 5,000-watt East
Contra Costa County station.
became KKIS' general manager in early 1960, shortly after Burrell Small,
owner of the Kankakee (Illinois) Daily Journal, purchased the station
for $350,000. KKIS, under the ownership of Mr. Small's Kay Kis
Corporation, moved into a newly-constructed studio and office building
at 230 East Fourth Street in Pittsburg.
ownership of KKIS lasted until May 1, 1962, when he sold the station to
Pace-Shear Radio in a $300,000 transaction. New primary owner John H.
Pace, previously an executive with ABC Radio, also took over as
president and general manager upon assuming control of the station,
replacing Mr. Bassett.
envelope may be viewed by clicking
ORIGINAL SIZE: 8-1/2x11 inches.
SOURCE: William Plummer Collection, Bay Area Radio Museum.