Bay Area Radio Museum

KYA Radio's First Studio
Circa 1926

KYA Studio Image

KYA went on the air on December 18, 1926, from this studio on the fifth floor of the Clift Hotel. It was operated by the Pacific Broadcasting Company, owned by Vincent Kraft, the operator KJR in Seattle. Over the next three years he constructed several other stations on the West Coast, and even opened a nascent network, the American Broadcasting Company. However, it all collapsed suddenly in 1929 when one of his investors, a Seattle banker, was jailed for embezzling bank funds to keep the stations afloat.
 

Voices Out Of The Fog

[Go to Index of Articles] [Return to Photo Archive] [Return to Home Page]

www.adams.net/~jfs

All articles copyright © 1997-2006 by John F. Schneider. All rights reserved.
Reprinted with the generous permission of the author.

[ Return To The Bay Area Radio Museum ]

Bay Area Radio Museum

| RETURN TO THE MUSEUM FRONT PAGE |

| HALL OF FAME | PEOPLE | STATIONS | SPORTS | JINGLES | SCHEDULES | SURVEYS | HISTORY | NEWS |

California Historical Radio Society

THE BAY AREA RADIO MUSEUM & HALL OF FAME
ARE PROGRAMS OF THE CALIFORNIA HISTORICAL RADIO SOCIETY
DEDICATED TO PRESERVING AND HONORING THE HISTORY OF
RADIO BROADCASTING IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA

Broadcast Legends