KPO Radio, Belmont
50,000 Watt Transmitter
Transmitter room for the General Electric type RT-152-G 50KW transmitter,
built under contract to NBC. The photo is dated March 28, 1933.
On the left side of the room is the 5 KW transmitter which served as the driver for the
50 KW power amplifier, located at left center. To right of the center section are the mercury
vapor rectifier for the final amplifier. On the right side of the room are the controls for the
motor generators and pumps for the water cooling system. The transmitter was entirely open to
the rear, and access doors on either side of the center cabinet allowed the operator to enter
for inspection or repairs.
Click here to see close-up views of the transmitter cabinets.
[Go to Index of Articles]
[Return to Photo Archive]
[Return to Home Page]
All articles copyright © 1997-2006 by John F. Schneider. All rights reserved.
Reprinted with the generous permission of the author.