KSFO/KPIX Studios
2655 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, California
Circa 1952

KSFO-KPIX Building Image

This building at 2655 Van Ness Avenue (at Greenwich Street) was constructed by the Associated Broadcasters in 1952 to be the new home of KPIX-TV (Channel 5) and KSFO Radio (560 AM). There is some question as to whether KSFO actually ever broadcast from the building, however.

According to Fred Krock, who worked for KSFO at the time, the radio studios were being used for office space while KSFO was operating from the transmitter building at Islais Creek. In 1955, after KPIX was sold to the Westinghouse Broadcasting Co., KSFO finally moved to its home of many years at the Fairmont Hotel.

After KPIX moved to its current Battery Street facility in 1979, the old studio building at 2655 Van Ness saw use as a tennis club and a warehouse. It was demolished in 2006 to make way for a condominium complex.

RELATED EXHIBITS:

[ Return To The Bay Area Radio Museum ]

Bay Area Radio Museum

| RETURN TO THE MUSEUM FRONT PAGE |

| HALL OF FAME | PEOPLE | STATIONS | SPORTS | JINGLES | SCHEDULES | SURVEYS | HISTORY | NEWS |

California Historical Radio Society

THE BAY AREA RADIO MUSEUM & HALL OF FAME
ARE PROGRAMS OF THE CALIFORNIA HISTORICAL RADIO SOCIETY
DEDICATED TO PRESERVING AND HONORING THE HISTORY OF
RADIO BROADCASTING IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA

Broadcast Legends