KSAN Transmitter Tower
Western Merchandise Mart

San Francisco

KSAN 1450 Tower - Merchandise Mart

Sherwood Patterson bought KGGC from the Golden Gate Church in 1939. He moved the studios to the Western Merchandise Mart building at 1355 Market Street (between Ninth and Tenth streets) and built this tower on the roof of the building.

The tower was used for decades by the station, which later became KSOL and then KEST. The radiation performance of the antenna was poor, however, due to its short length and height above the ground.

The building, which has undergone extensive renovation over the years, is still in use as a wholesale home furnishings center as the San Francisco Mart (SFM).

Voices Out Of The Fog

ALL ARTICLES COPYRIGHT © 1997-2013 BY JOHN F. SCHNEIDER. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
REPRINTED WITH THE GENEROUS PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR.


Bay Area Radio Museum

| RETURN TO MUSEUM FRONT PAGE |

| PEOPLE | STATIONS | SPORTS | JINGLES | SCHEDULES | SURVEYS | HISTORY |

THE BAY AREA RADIO MUSEUM IS A CALIFORNIA NON-PROFIT CORPORATION
DEDICATED TO PRESERVING AND HONORING THE HISTORY OF
RADIO BROADCASTING IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA.