KRE Transmitter Site
Ashby Avenue, Berkeley
KRE Built its new transmitter building at 601 Ashby Avenue in Berkeley in 1937.
The lighted call letters on the 178 ft. self-supporting tower could be seen for miles on
a clear night.
The land was a tide flat, and flooded frequently. In this view, station personnel were
required to reach the building by rowboat during one high water event. More of the land
was filled the follow year, and the building was enlarged to house the studios as well.
The body of water that remained behind the tower was nicknamed "Lake Limberger" by the
[Go to Index of Articles]
[Return to Photo Archive]
[Return to Home Page]
All articles copyright © 1997-2006 by John F. Schneider. All rights reserved.
Reprinted with the generous permission of the author.